Geology Lab Renovation
Hasenstab Architects worked with Oberlin College to renovate all of the Geology Department’s laboratories. A major challenge included the development of new laboratories in the existing Carnegie Building, which was constructed in 1918. Another challenge involved incorporating sustainable design principles throughout the project to reduce the Geology Department’s energy consumption and carbon footprint. The project spanned three different floors and included:
- Six research laboratories
- Rock preparation laboratory
- Scanning electron microscope laboratory
- Geochemistry laboratory
- Administrative space
The National Institute of Health (NIH) funded this project with a grant to Oberlin College. Hasenstab Architects worked with Oberlin College to deliver this project within the NIH guidelines.