City of Akron
Akron Fire Station No. 2
The new, 14,455 square foot Fire Station No. 2 replaced the original fire station on the same site. The two-story building consists of an upper level, which houses three full-length apparatus bays with support spaces for three shifts of personnel. A walk-out lower level provides space for a satellite office for the Akron Police Department. The new facility also includes living quarters for firefighters/medics, a training room, and equipment decontamination facilities.
Abatement and demolition of the original fire station, which was built in 1944, was also part of the project scope. Significant historic artifacts from this and previous fire stations were preserved, including a 1880’s statue and fountain, memorials to fallen firefighters and building dedication stones. A free-standing signaling building houses critical communications equipment for city safety forces and a 150Kw generator to power the building if electrical service is interrupted.