LEED v4 Certification for Akron Zoo Projects
It’s time to celebrate! Our recent projects for the Akron Zoo – Pride of Africa & Wild Asia have achieved LEED certification by the USGBC!
What’s even more exciting is that it’s the second LEED v4 New Construction certified zoo project in the United States!
Some of the sustainable practices and materials used for Pride of Africa & Wild Asia include:
- Building materials with known life cycles
- Reuse of previously developed land
- Materials that prevent heat islands from solar gain which can negatively affect microclimates
- Wildlife-friendly exterior lighting
- Vinyl window film to prevent bird strikes
- Energy-efficient mechanical systems
- Low VOC (volatile organic compounds) interior materials for both human and animal health
- Heavy emphasis on diverting materials from the landfill during the construction period